A Look at Some of the Most Popular Home Design Trends for 2016
New construction homes are the hottest trend in the housing market right now with everyone from retiring baby boomers to millennials realizing they too can purchase a home that was designed and built especially for them. The thrill of new houses is the chance to customize the home to your lifestyle and preferences, which is why home design trends are a popular topic among designers and homebuyers alike. So what are the top home design trends for 2016? Read on to find out.
The open concept layout is the top choice for new homes in 2016. This trend has been fashionable for several years now, but it is still the most popular choice in new construction homes. With the open concept layout, the main level rooms are open. Without walls, this allows the kitchen, dining and living areas to all flow together. Home buyers prefer this style because it is perfect for entertaining and family togetherness. It allows everyone to easily see and communicate with one another even though they are technically in different rooms of the house.
We are also seeing several trends in the materials chosen for key areas of the house. Some material trends include:
- Countertops – Granite is still the most popular countertop material in new construction homes. However, some home buyers are moving away from this trend and opting for something more unique. Those who don’t choose granite are increasingly choosing engineered stones, especially quartz.
- Tiling – Tile is a commonly used material in new houses today. Many new construction homes have a tiled backsplash in the kitchen, and tile is also used in the increasingly popular stand-alone shower where tile may run from the floor to the ceiling. In both cases, homeowners are often opting for glass mosaic tiles, both in solids and patterns.
- Flooring – Hardwood flooring is still popular among today’s home buyers, but one trend among eco-friendly buyers is to use reclaimed lumber. As an alternative to hardwood, homebuyers are also turning to laminate (which has come a long way in terms of quality and style to truly mimic hardwood), or porcelain tile that can also be made to look like hardwood.
Many 2016 home buyers are looking for a contemporary style – crisp, clean, and reliant on modern color schemes. Therefore, neutrals are popular in new home construction, where the basic features of the home are done in classic colors, and the homeowner can add their personal touch by using more vibrant colors for the furniture and décor.
For kitchens, the white on white kitchen is still a popular trend for new houses. This includes white for all the important features such as white walls, white backsplash, and white cabinets. Those who don’t like the look (or the maintenance requirements) of white are choosing gray, particularly for cabinets.
Finally, to cover some trends related to specific rooms of the home, builders are noticing the following requests for new construction homes.
- Spa-Like Bathrooms – Homeowners are putting an emphasis on bathrooms in new houses of 2016, particularly the master suite. They want to create a spa-like retreat where they can get away from the hectic world outside. People are moving away from the combined shower-tub unit and requesting stand-alone showers and tubs that become beautiful focal points in the room.
- Bonus Rooms – Although new homebuyers enjoy the open concept living space on the main level, they also want to have a bonus room where they can get away and relax. The bonus room is customized to the lifestyle and desires of the homeowner, so it can be whatever you choose. Popular bonus room choices are media rooms, libraries, and wine rooms.
- Indoor-Outdoor Living – Although technically not a room, today’s homebuyers also want to maximize the function of their outdoor living spaces. Many new construction homes are being built with large sliding glass doors that help connect the inside with the outside. When opened, the homeowner can walk out to their own patio which has amenities such as fireplaces, grills, outdoor kitchens, pizza ovens, and more.
With the amazing trends we are seeing in new construction homes, it is no wonder why so many homebuyers are choosing new houses over used homes on the market. The ability to customize according to trends, preferences and lifestyle means those who chose to build can construct the home of their dreams.